FIG, Take 2

I woke up this morning, determined to fulfill my mission.  There was a dusting of snow on the ground from last night, and was now raining.  This was perfect weather to drive in!

I have found out that Fort Indiantown Gap is WAY on the other side of Annville.  Now, I know Annville, because we have good friends that live there.  I (wrongly!) assumed that FIG was on the other side of the square.  I estimated the drive would take 45 minutes, but with the rain and my failed estimate, it almost took me an hour and a half to get there.

I drove right past the ID office, as every building looked the same.  I had to call the office, turn around, and found it on my second drive by.  There was a line: there were 5 people in front of me, but they were helped quickly.  I only waited for about 10 minutes.  I was called into the room and started to pull out everything.  The ID guy asked me for the Power Of Attorney, and then told me that I needed the original, not a copy.  I had only brought the copy, thinking it best to keep the original in a “safe place”.  Hearing this, I began to tear up.  I gathered all my supporting documents, said I would be back, and went back out to my car where I proceeded to have an emotional breakdown.  I cried, I screamed, I swore, and I sobbed.  Then, I turn around and drove back to Lancaster.

My mother in law (bless her heart) was able to get the documents I needed in my house, and met me in East Pete, so I didn’t have to drive the entire way back home.  The rain was more intermittent, so I was able to drive much faster than on the way there.  I arrived back at the ID office almost 2 hours to the time I signed in the first time.  I was assisted, was enrolled in DEERS (whatever that is…sounds like a Military database?) and got my military ID.  Then, I asked about Tricare and was told the person I needed to talk to wasn’t there.  I gathered info on what I need to do to upgrade to Tricare Prime, and will have to take care of that another time.

In summary, today wasn’t a total bust.  My mission was somewhat successful, albeit in a frustrating way.  I spent about 5 hours in my car, but I got my ID.  I am able to check that off of my to-do list.

Now, on to tackle Tricare….

  1. No comments yet.

  1. No trackbacks yet.