Trip to Dallas

Between May 17-19, the Marine Corps paid for Tony and I to travel to Dallas and stay for the weekend to attend a Yellow Ribbon Reintegration Program. There was nothing like this offered for his other 3 deployments, so I was excited to see what it was like, learn about various resources, etc.  We also figured that we couldn’t beat a free weekend in Dallas!  I don’t particularly like flying in general, and I was a little nervous how flying while pregnant would be. I did lots of research to see how to make the best of it.  The biggest thing was to drink a lot of water, and to get up and walk around.  I figured my trips to the bathroom counted as “walking around!”

We flew in early on Friday, so we would have the day to sight see.  Tony and I visited the George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum, and visited the site of John F. Kennedy’s assassination.  The GWB Library had a section dedicated to 9/11, and as soon as I saw that area, I started to tear up.  It was very emotional to walk through the exhibit, thinking about how many lives were changed on that day.

Steel girders from the Twin Towers

Us in the replica Oval Office

The assassination site was unique to see as well.  It was a very open scene, apparently pretty much unchanged since the 1960′s.

Dealey Plaza

Standing near where JFK was shot, looking back at the building where Lee Harvey Oswald was shooting from.

On the Grassy Knoll.

The Texas School Book Depository (now the site of the Museum).  The far right window on the 6th floor is where the shot was fired from.  The window is half open.

Both of those outings were seeped in history, commemorating two of our Nation’s past Presidents.

I love going out to eat, and trying new foods; that is definitely one part of traveling that I love.  So, we ate at some amazing restaurants while we were in Dallas!  I tried In N Out Burger and Whataburger for the first time.  III Forks was recommended to us by a friend’s father, and it did not disappoint!  We also went to Fogo de Chao, a Brazilian churrascarian restaurant.  I was in food heaven!

And, last but not least, Tony was determined to find a pair of cowboy boots!  He was victorious!

The trip back did not go as smoothly.  We flew from Dallas to Detroit, where we got stuck.  Due to the tornados in Oklahoma, our flight crew was diverted elsewhere.  Our flight back to Harrisburg was at first delayed while they tried to find another crew, then eventually cancelled.  The airline put us up in a hotel, where we only slept for about 3 hours.  We got a flight into Baltimore, and my dear parents came the next morning to pick us up!  They drove us to Harrisburg, which is where our car was parked.  We arrived home more than 12 hours after we anticipated.  And, I quickly showered, changed, and went into work for 6 hours!

Overall, it was a great trip to Dallas!

  1. No comments yet.

  1. No trackbacks yet.